Monday, October 3, 2016

Problems With Being Too Popular

Last month I was lucky enough to be invited to join my parents on their vacation. While on this vacation I got to see Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, which is another National Park. Both of these places were amazing and beautiful. Unfortunately however, both were outrageously crowded. We were actually able to go to Zion twice and no matter what time we showed up the park was so busy that we were forced to park outside both parks and take shuttles into them. All the while I was thinking the summer is over students are back to school and it was during the week I was expecting the parks to be sparsely populated during my visit. So why are these parks so busy even during a time of year when most people are back to school or working?

 As recently as 2013 Utah launched it “Mighty 5” campaign to promote its five National parks since then attendance to the parks in Utah has raised by nearly 20%. In addition to this there was a new marketing campaign across the U.S. in 2016 The “Find Your Park” campaign. This is an effort by the Parks to spread the word or raise people’s awareness of them, and at the same time celebrate the 100th anniversary of the parks service.

Although the parks are probably happy that these advertising campaigns are working, very well I may add, because they are bringing in bigger crowds than ever before, it is my opinion that the parks have been ruined by the massive overcrowding. Maybe it’s just because I’m from Montana and I’m used to being alone when I go out into the mountains and wilderness but these crowds take away enjoyment of the experience for me. Having to wait in line for an hour to get into a park then be constantly surrounded by hundreds of people isn’t my idea of a good time. Often times in during my visit to Yellowstone this summer it took longer to find a parking spot then it did to actually go on the hike.

Image result for overcrowding in national parks
The end of the delicate arch hike in Utah’s Arches National Park.

I hope that the parks service is able to maintain the beauty of these amazing places around the country but I fear that eventually this over popularization of our National Parks will degrade the ecosystems and ruin the parks permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment